Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Meeting them where they are...

Titus 3:3-7 "For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit whom He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by His grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life."

Last night I had an experience that was pretty amazing! It wasn't amazing because I liked where I was at, I did not. In fact, quite the opposite. Let me give you a little preface to my evening.
My husband and I used to have an entertainment business. We no longer put on our own shows (concerts), but we help out others when they need extra hands. So, a couple weeks ago I received a call asking if I would be a runner. This is a person that will go purchase food, alcohol, etc for the bands at their requests. I said ok. By the end of the day I called her back and let her know that I just didn't feel comfortable with this and so my husband would take that spot. Two days later she called back and asked if I could work the door. I hesitated. Then plain as day I heard "go". So I told her I would. Keep in mind...I did not want to be a part of this show at all!!
So, I get there last night and said a little prayer before I went in. One of the other two girls I had along is also a Christian. As we were waiting for doors to open we were talking about Jesus. Ha! Got some strange looks. Oh, I had on my "Find the Way, seek the Truth, Jesus is Life" shirt. Anyway, it hit me while talking to her that I am to pray for these people. I took a moment and prayed for all those getting ready to attend this show, for those involved with the show, essentially anyone in that building that night. Instantly I knew why I was there.
As I greeted people (many of them with young children) and took their tickets, I prayed for them. Just quick little "shout outs" about little specific things that occured to me as they passed through. I just had these little nudges about things that were needed......it was amazing! Jesus filled me with a love for the unlovely!! He reminded me of a sermon that Pastor Andy gave awhile back about each person that we encounter is potentially housing Jesus Christ. Each person that we may shy away from may be housing the Holy of Holies! Maybe this is a Christian slipping. Maybe this is someone who has never been introduced to the Lord. Maybe this is someone who is on the verge of saying "Father take me...I love You...I am Yours!"
So I guess what I am saying here is that I needed a reminder that I am no better than anyone else....He is the Father to all, some are just in denial. So, I need to treat each of these people as He would. I may not agree with the lifestyle, the clothing, the language......but He says to love! Not love the lovely...not love the cute and friendly...not love the clean....just love! If He met me right where I was, won't He do the same for anyone else who opens their heart to Him?!

1 Timothy 2:1 "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people,"

Lord please keep my mind open and my heart ready to love all of your people, both those that already know you and those You are waiting for!!