Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Tuesday is the New Wednesday

Let me just start by saying this, I am a list girl! Boy, that statement is such an admission, and will hopefully make some sense in a few moments.
A friend made this comment on a facebook post today, Wednesday is the new Tuesday. It was pretty funny in the context of the conversation, but it sank deeper into my spirit.
How many times do I get up with the intention of getting all of these things on my to do list checked off today?
How many times do I tell myself, today is the day I will....?
I can assure you, it is often. So when I don't accomplish ALL of these things by the end of the day, I feel defeated, to say the least, and already somewhat overwhelmed in trying to tuck them somewhere in to the next day's list. Basically I am rehearsing my troubles for yet another day, a day that hasn't even yet become my reality.
Anyway, I read this comment this morning and I couldn't help thanking my Father that today, Wednesday, with it's name, it's label, is just a day like any other. Today is the day that He has made and He already knows where my feet will step, what my mouth will speak and what my heart will encounter. I realized that this day called Wednesday is still THIS day and there is so much more to do in it than make some check marks off MY list of things that seem TO ME to be urgent enough to put on this list, aka my prison cell.
Today, I throw my list out! Ok, so I may not really throw it out, but my mindset about it is going to change! Today, God, my list begins and ends with keeping my eyes focused on You and YOUR list for me today. Place on my heart those things that are of importance to You that I accomplish in this time. Allow me opportunities to meet with people and share You with them in this time. Allow me to experience sheer joy and be in complete awe of all that You have placed around me, the beauty of nature and the people that I will encounter. Help me to go to those places that others may not wish to in order to bring You into a situation or a place so that lives will be changed. Thank You, Father, for this new list. For this I will gladly rise and lay down complete in knowing that today, I walked with my Daddy and learned yet another thing. You say in Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Father, today and every day coming, teach me Your ways and help me carry the yoke You have placed on me and allow me the wisdom to know when it is time to rest.